Welcome to MavBlog!

Welcome to MavBlog • Providing Insite & Information on the Mavericks Since 1985Mankato, Minn.

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Where Are They Now? Lisa (Walters) Sukalski

Lisa (Walters) Sukalski was a
two-time All-American during
women's basketball career at
Minnesota State

Former Maverick women’s basketball great and member of the Minnesota State University Hall of Fame, Lisa (Walters) Sukalski is doing quite well, thank you.

The Henderson, Minn., native received a plethora of accolades during her time with the Mavericks, which spanned 1984-99. A two-time Kodak All-American who was named GTE/CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year in 1988, Sukalski was named the North Central Conference's Stan Marshall Award recipient as league's outstanding female student-athlete for 1987-88 and MSU's Senior Female Athlete of the Year in 1987-88.

A three-time All-Region selection, Sukalski still owns several school records including most career points (2,072) and rebounds (1,074) and at the end of her time with the Mavericks. Sukalski owned the NCC records for career points, rebounds, and field goals.

 Significantly, Sukalski was the keystone on the 1985-86 team where as a sophomore center, she helped lead the Mavericks to its first-ever North Central Conference championship and first-ever NCAA tournament appearance.

After graduating from Minnesota State, she ended up playing professionally in Sweden for one year in 1988-89 before starting a teaching career that has lasted more than three decades.

MavBlog: What are you doing now?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: I am currently in my 30th year of teaching second grade in the St. Michael-Albertville School District. 
 
MavBlog:  Tell us about your family.
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: I am married and have three adult children, all graduates of St. Michael-Albertville. My youngest is still attending college. The other two are college graduates and live in the Twin Cities area.
 
MavBlog: How has Minnesota State affected your career after college?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: My degree from Minnesota State (it was Mankato State when I was there) was Elementary Education with a Coaching certification. Mankato State prepared me for my first teaching job right out of college. My time playing college basketball propelled me into getting the job as the head girls basketball coach at St. Michael-Albertville High School. The dedication and hard work ethic I learned through being a college student and a college athlete at the same time as well as the lessons I learned through sports, has carried over into helping me be a successful teacher and coach. 
 
MavBlog: What kind of impact did Mary Willerscheidt have on you during your time at Minnesota State?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: Mary was my coach my freshman year. She believed in me and pushed me to become a better player. This had an impact on my belief in myself and my desire to become the best player I could be. My growth in confidence and in setting my goals high carried over into my remaining years. Even when she stepped down as the coach, she remained a huge supporter. 
 
MavBlog: What is your best memory from the Minnesota State women’s basketball team?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: My best memory was the 1985-86 season. We had a very successful season and became the North Central Conference Champs. But more than that, I got a chance to play with some of the best players that have ever played together at Minnesota State including Pat Burns, Annie Christopherson, Carla Schuck, and Julie Cink. It was an honor to play with such talented teammates and a whole lot of fun! 
 
MavBlog: What do you remember from your time playing professionally in Sweden in 1988-89?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: Playing professionally was a great experience. The style of play was different from the women’s college game at that time, but it was fun to adjust to a new style of play. My teammates were very welcoming as was the family I lived with. I also had an opportunity to coach a youth team. Living in the city of Stockholm was a great experience for me as well. 
 
MavBlog: Are you still involved with or still have connections with the Minnesota State women’s basketball team? If so, in what ways?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: I don’t have a lot of involvement in the women’s basketball program anymore. My first decade out of college I stayed connected and in touch, attending alumni events and keeping up with the team. As time went by, my basketball involvement shifted to the high school basketball program at St. Michael-Albertville. 
 
MavBlog: Are you still involved with the game of basketball?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: After being a head coach for 10 years, coaching my own kids in youth and traveling basketball and then watching them play basketball through middle school and high and high school, I am now what you would call a basketball fan and enjoy attending both boys’ and girls’ basketball games. Up until my youngest child graduated in 2019, I had been involved in basketball as a player, coach, or parent since I was in 7th grade. 
 
MavBlog: What has the game of basketball meant to you in your life? Did it shape you in any way?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: The game of basketball has been a huge part of my life. Through basketball, I learned the importance of hard work, dedication, and teamwork and these things carried over into my teaching, parenting, and just being the person I am today.

MavBlog: Have you kept in touch with any of your former teammates from Minnesota State?
Lisa (Walters) Sukalski: Yes. I keep in touch with several former teammates and we are able to get together at least once a year.
 
Contributed by Hogan Greenwood, Athletic Communications intern

No comments:

Post a Comment