Welcome to MavBlog!

Welcome to MavBlog • Providing Insite & Information on the Mavericks Since 1985Mankato, Minn.

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Where Are They Now? Shane Joseph

Shane Joseph registered 68 goals and 76 assists
for 144 points in 139 games at Minnesota State

Minnesota State's foray into the NCAA Division I men's hockey ranks only goes back into the mid-1990's and it wasn't until the 1999-2000 season that the Mavericks became members of the vaunted Western Collegiate Hockey Association - a league at the time that included the likes of the University of Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver and the University of Wisconsin.

Under the guidance of coaching legend Don Brose, Minnesota State put up a 21-14-4 mark in that first season in the WCHA, but three years later, in 2002-03, the Mavericks made a splash with a regular season that included an amazing 17-game unbeaten streak, a second-place finish in the league standings and the first-ever invitation to the NCAA DI men's hockey postseason tournament.

The Minnesota State offense that year featured a pair of dynamic forwards from Alberta in junior Shane Joseph and sophomore Grant Stevenson. Joseph finished the year with 29 goals and 36 assists for 65 points in 41 games, while his running mate Stevenson racked up 63 points on 27 goals and 36 points in 38 games. Both were named All-Americans.  Stevenson signed a free agent contract with the National Hockey League's San Jose Sharks following the conclusion of the season, while Joseph, who had 19 goals and 24 assists for 43 points as a senior with the Mavericks, would also sign with the Sharks following the 2003-04 campaign. 

Joseph, a Brooks, Alta., native, totalled 144 career points and ranks fourth on the school's career scoring charts for the DI-era.

MavBlog recently checked in with Joseph, who resides with his family in the Twin Cities.

MavBlog: How did you end up playing for Minnesota State?
Shane Joseph: I was originally planning on playing major junior.  Saskatoon cut me and at that moment I decided to go to college. Playing junior hockey in Canmore I believe Eric Means was the first to come watch, followed by Jutts and Brosie.  They asked me to come there a month into the year and I liked what I saw..... had the potential to make an impact on a program and didn’t look back.  

MavBlog: You were an All-American on the team that made the school’s first appearance in the NCAA Division I tournament.  Tell us what you remember about that season in 2002-03.
Shane Joseph: We had such a good group of guys, and it will go down as the most memorable year of hockey I have been a part of.  We worked hard, had fun and enjoyed a team confidence that propelled us to go on......what was it 17 games unbeaten?  That was Fun!

MavBlog: The chemistry you had with a fellow Albertan in Grant Stevenson was noticeable in that great run in 2002-03.  What was it like playing with Grant, both with the Mavericks and then later on with Cleveland in the American Hockey League?
Shane Joseph: Grant was a special player, very intelligent and extremely skilled......not to mention could fly.  We just had great chemistry.......we also pushed each other that year and we had a confidence going out together that we were going to make it happen.  

MavBlog: After your time in the San Jose Sharks organization, you headed to Germany where you played for four teams in the DEL.  What was it like playing pro hockey in Europe?
Shane Joseph: Europe was a lot of fun with a lot of great memories.  However, I remember getting there my first day and they dropped me off at my apartment.  This was before everyone had cell phones and GPS.  They gave me a map, circled the rink and told me to be here at 10 a.m. tomorrow.  I remember laying in that apartment with no phone, internet, tv and not speaking a lick of German and asking myself what I got myself into.  Made it to the rink the next day and met the team and it was amazing from that point out.  The hockey is great, the atmosphere of the games is exciting and it was great to travel and experience the German culture and make some great friendships along the way. 

MavBlog: Tell us what you’ve been doing following the conclusion of your professional hockey career.
Shane Joseph: I help people buy and sell homes.  In other words, I am a realtor here in the Twin Cities.  

MavBlog: How did your experience with the Mavericks and Minnesota State serve you after you graduated in 2003-04?
Shane Joseph: I was just a punk, naive 18-year old kid coming in......I grew up a lot during my time with the Mavericks.  There were a lot of great teammates, coaches and staff who guided me through those five years.  Other than the education of course, my time at MSU taught me a lot about being an adult and a professional. 

MavBlog: Tell us about your family.
Shane Joseph: I am blessed with a beautiful wife (former Minnesota State volleyball player Melanie Jude) and three beautiful daughters.   Lydia (9), Adeline (7), and Lucille (2).  We are busy with sports and activities......a wise person told me you aren’t busy, you are just are just living full and to embrace it.  I try to remind myself of that often  :)

MavBlog: Do you keep in touch with any of your former Maverick teammates?
Shane Joseph: That is one of the best things about playing with this program.  The tight-knit bond that is created there not only with players you played with, but with other hockey alumni, as well.  There is a large group of us that all hang out in the Twin Cities and, of course, the alumni events throughout the year bring everyone together. 

MavBlog: Are you still playing? What else do you do besides work and spending time with your family?
Shane Joseph: I started to play a little again last year with some guys, and it was great to get back on the ice.  I didn’t play for seven years after I retired and it was good to get back to enjoying the game again. Other than that, you can only have so many hobbies and the one I choose is golf.  It has become an addiction :)



No comments:

Post a Comment